Propolis is a resinous adhesive that bees collect from various plants, enrich it with wax, pollen, enzymes and other substances and use it to seal and disinfect the inside of the hive. The name is due to the fact that the bees place it in front of the entrance of the hive (first city) in order to narrow it and prevent the entry of various enemies, such as large butterflies, lizards, etc.
Propolis mainly contains 55% resin, 30% wax, 10% essential oils, 5% pollen. The other ingredients are aromatic substances, sugars, terpenes, aliphatic acids and their esters flavonoids, minerals, vitamins, trace elements and other known and unknown ingredients.
PHYSICAL PROPERTIES OF PROPOLIS
The color of propolis depends on its natural composition. It is usually brown-green, brown, dark brown. It is insoluble in water and soluble in alcohol. At a temperature above 25oC it is soft, flexible and sticks to the hands, while at a temperature below 25oC it becomes hard and brittle.
Propolis has bacteriostatic and bactericidal properties:
- It is used to treat injuries of the respiratory organs, oral cavity and other areas of the human body.
- Propolis is used against chronic itching, for the treatment of local redness, fungal pharyngitis and general problems of otolaryngology.
- Alcoholic extract of propolis 50% is used to treat chronic otitis.
- Propolis is used to treat ulcers and prostate problems.
- Propolis is used in dentistry to treat problems of the oral cavity.
- Propolis is used in cosmetics, lotions, face creams, soaps, shampoos and toothpastes.
COLLECTION AND STORAGE
The propolis is collected with special screens which are placed inside the cell, when the screens are filled they are placed in the freezer where it hardens, it becomes rigid and then we “fold” it quickly and “unfold” it by shaking it on a clean cloth so that the propolis which comes off and falls into flakes to be collected easily and in a clean way.
Propolis in its natural form, raw is consumed in small pieces the size of a lentil. It tastes bitter and its use is effective for inflammations or ulcers in the mouth, throat or larynx and helps the functioning of a healthy immune system and protects against certain adverse health conditions.
Alcoholic propolis extract is used to treat wounds, disinfect the oral cavity, has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiseptic action. Usual dosing is 10-15 drops per day.
Propolis and virgin olive oil which due to its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory action:
- Inhibits microbial growth and kills fungi and bacteria.
- It helps the regeneration of the skin, while due to the absence of alcohol, it is an excellent healing agent for external use, ideal for small wounds, stings, burns, etc.
Propolis spray with its natural and active composition immediately treats infections and subsequent inflammation and fungal infections of the oral and pharyngeal cavity, inhibiting the feeling of pain and intense irritation.
Suitable for mouth ulcers, cold sores, without side effects and without a ceiling in use.
Shake before use.